Thursday 27 June 2013

Kim Dotcom and Piracy Podcast

In this Podcast, I am talking about Kim Dotcom, well-known for his involvement in a 'piracy website'. I will be focusing on an interview that took part between Dotcom and the Russia Today Network. Dotcom raised a few points in his interview that I found extremely interesting, such as how Hollywood encourages piracy through their behaviour. He highlighted how the United States government is handling the subject of piracy. I found it interesting when Dotcom explained that
"I am not for copyright infringement. People need to understand that. I’m against copyright infringement. But I’m also against copyright extremism. And I’m against a business model: the one from Hollywood that encourages piracy.
I’ve always created products that people like. And that’s why I’m successful. I’m not successful because people have used Megaupload for copyright infringement… We don’t believe that 50 million users a day are all just transferring piracy. That’s wrong. A lot of people have used it to back up their data, to send a file quickly to a friend. Young artists have used it to get traction, to get downloads, to get known. There was a lot of legitimate use on Megaupload. It’s a dual-use technology, just like the Internet.
You can go to any ISP right now, anyone who connects customers to the Internet. And if they are honest to you and you ask them the question ‘How much of your traffic is peer-to-peer piracy?’ anyone who will tell you less than 50 percent is lying to your face. This is a problem of the Internet and not Megaupload".
I chose to focus on this quote to illustrate how complicated and contradicting the situation surround piracy really is. Yet, the solution could be simple with some compromising of both sides.
This is my podcast!
If you would like to watch this interview in full, you can find it here.
References
RTAmerica. (2013). Kim Dotcom wants to encrypt half of the Internet to end government surveillance (RT INTERVIEW). Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JKGAt1__-Q.
Wikepedia. (2013). Aaron Swartz. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz.
Wikepedia. (2013). Kim Dotcom. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom.

No comments:

Post a Comment